Go online now to renew your driver license or instruction permit. If you delayed renewing due to the extensions, it’s time to act.
We’re planning no further extensions in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Check your license or permit. If its expiration date ranges from March 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021, please renew it as soon as possible.
It’s easy to renew online. Because of temporary waivers, many drivers and permit holders are currently eligible. This includes:
- People under age 24.
- People over 70.
- Anyone we would have required to visit an office this renewal cycle.
Take advantage while you can!
When does your extension end?
Extensions are expiring fast. Here are the extensions we granted for personal driver licenses and standard instruction permits:
- Licenses and permits expiring March 1 through June 30, 2020 are valid 360 days past the date printed on the card. If your card was set to expire in March 2020, your extension is already over. Example: If the expiration date on your card is March 17, 2020, your extension ended March 12, 2021.
- Licenses and permits expiring July 1 through Sept. 30, 2020 are valid 270 days past the date printed on the card. Example: If the expiration date on your card is July 8, 2020, your extension ends April 4, 2021.
- Licenses and permits expiring Oct. 1 through Dec. 31, 2020 are valid 180 days past the date printed on the card. Example: If the expiration date on your card is Oct. 1, 2020, your extension ends March 30, 2021.
- Licenses and permits expiring Jan. 1 through March 31, 2021 are valid 90 days past the date printed on the card. Example: If the expiration date on your card is Feb. 22, 2021, your extension ends May 23, 2021.
You don’t gain anything by waiting to renew. Your next renewal cycle begins on your card’s original expiration date. You’ll pay the same amount you would have paid without an extension.
Please don’t make an appointment to renew in person if you have the option of renewing online. In-person appointments are for customers who can’t complete their transaction any other way. Renewing online helps keep you, other customers, and our employees safe and healthy.
If you make an appointment for a transaction that you can do online, we’ll redirect you to dol.wa.gov.
Want an enhanced license? Consider waiting
Due to identity verification protocols, you must get your enhanced documents in person. Appointments remain limited and it could take a while to get one.
If you want to make sure you’re ready for REAL ID, consider options other than an enhanced document. A passport, for example, may be easier to get. You can renew your standard license or ID now, then upgrade later for only $4 a year for the time remaining in your cycle.
Update on commercial licenses (CDL) and permits (CLP)
We extended most CDLs and CLPs with expiration dates on or after March 1, 2020 through May 31, 2021. The extension included all CDL types and endorsements, except those with a hazmat endorsement.
We don’t know right now if any further CDL/CLP extensions are coming. Don’t count on it. Renew your commercial license or permit as soon as possible.