We continue to transition more of our services online. We’ve worked to adjust our service model to try to help as many people as possible, as safe as possible. The health and safety of our employees and customers is always our top priority.
We put social distancing measures and other health guidelines in place at our driver licensing offices. Due to this, capacity is reduced and appointments are limited. This could mean waiting a while for an appointment date. Please go online first.
Online services are the first option in most instances
We encourage you to go to our website first and take advantage of our online services:
- Renew a driver license, ID card, vehicle registration, or instruction permit online. Persons under age 24 and over 70 may renew online for a limited time.
- Apply for a first-time instruction permit.
We made some other changes to make it easier for those with expiring licenses and permits:
- We extended commercial driver licenses (CDLs) and commercial learner permits (CLPs) expiring on or after March 1 – September 30, 2020. This includes all CDL types and endorsements.
- We extended driver licenses and instruction permits expiring March 1 – September 30, 2020.
- Obtaining an enhanced driver licenses (EDLs) and enhanced IDs (EIDs) can wait. The REAL ID enforcement date got pushed back a year to October 1, 2021. TSA will accept expired state ID at checkpoints if you can’t renew at a driver licensing office.
Appointments are only for customers whose only option is to visit a driver licensing office
Thank you for doing your transactions online. It helps those who can only get their service provided at an in-person appointment be able to get one.
Services offered by appointment only include:
- First-time driver license, including knowledge and skills testing (where offered)
- First-time identification card
- Enhanced driver license (EDL) and enhanced ID (EID)
- Name change on license/ID
- Instruction permit
- Commercial driver license (CDL) and commercial learner permit (CLP)
- Agricultural permit, including knowledge and skills testing (where offered)
- Reinstatement, including knowledge and skills testing (where offered)
- Occupational restricted license
- Driver training school instructor test
You can only make an appointment 30 days out. A limited number of new appointment slots (30 days out) do open up daily. The scheduling system will offer the first available dates. If appointment slots are unavailable, try again the next day.
If you show up to an office without an appointment, you’ll get scheduled for a return visit or redirected as needed.
Vehicle Licensing Offices are open
Vehicle licensing offices (VLOs) are open. They will help you with:
- Vehicle tabs.
- Boat decals.
- License plates.
- Reports of vehicle sale or transfer of ownership.
- Vehicle/boat registrations.
- Trip permits.
- Replacement titles.
- Disabled parking placards/tabs.
Find your nearest vehicle office on our website.